Sonya D. Goodwin, Partner
Areas of Expertise
A Sampling of Sonya Goodwin's Cases:
- Defeated class certification two times in complex wage and hour putative class action by truck drivers against national gourmet food supplier alleging meal and rest break, overtime, minimum-wage, expense reimbursement, and wage statement violations.
- Summary judgment granted in favor of client in a wage and hour case involving preemption of meal and rest break and derivative claims.
- After manager for international retailer sued employer for race discrimination and wrongful termination, obtained a favorable settlement for employer one month before trial in Federal District Court.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of three truck drivers who had endured years of racial harassment and discrimination after more than a year of highly contentious litigation in State Court.
- Obtained a favorable settlement for a writer and editor for the aerospace industry who was harassed and discriminated against because of his age and sexual orientation. Obtained the settlement while the client was still employed, and negotiated for him to keep his job post-litigation.
A Sampling of Sonya Goodwin's Matters:
- Prepared dozens of handbooks for clients in various industries, including retail, property management, food and beverage, and entertainment.
- Conducted pre- and post-litigation investigations for clients after employees complained of harassment, discrimination, and retaliation.
- Advised clients on daily personnel matters, including terminations, restructuring, accommodating disabilities, sick leave and other leaves, and ban the box.
- Conducted audits of various wage and hour issues, including meal and rest breaks, wage statements, and overtime.
- Advised clients on various wage and hour issues, including meal and rest breaks, off-the-clock, reporting time pay, on-call, overtime, wage statements, and alternative work weeks.
- University of California, San Diego, B.A., History and International Studies, summa cum laude
- UCLA School of Law, J.D.
- Executive Committee, Beverly Hills Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Member, California Lawyers Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- Leadership Counsel, Public Counsel
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- Speaker, “Employment Law: Hot Topics, Fundamentals & Beyond,” Beverly Hills Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section, February 27, 2020
- Sonya D. Goodwin, “Return to Work Is a Double-Edged Sword,” The Recorder, October 13, 2020
- Sonya D. Goodwin, “Job (In)Security: How to Manage Economic Uncertainty,” Glassdoor, March 18, 2020
- Sonya D. Goodwin, “Could I Lose My Job Because of Coronavirus Fears?,” Glassdoor, March 3, 2020
- Sonya D. Goodwin, “Can My Employer Share My Personal Info?,” Glassdoor, February 21, 2020
- Sonya Goodwin and Julia Y. Trankiem, "California’s Anti-Arbitration Bill Gets Signed Into Law," Hunton Employment and Labor Perspectives, October 29, 2019