Mediation Services By Sauer & Wagner
Sauer & Wagner is pleased to offer mediation services by mediator Sonya Goodwin. Sonya specializes in employment law and provides the unique perspective of someone who has been on both sides of the table. Mediations are offered via Zoom or in-person, as full or half days.
Sonya Goodwin, Mediator
Sonya Goodwin specializes in resolving employment disputes, including single-plaintiff, multi-party, PAGA, and class actions. Sonya has practiced employment law for over a decade, representing numerous employees and employers in discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wage and hour, and breach of contract disputes. Sonya has resolved dozens of mediations as a mediator and participated in over a hundred mediations and negotiations.
Our Mediation Approach
Sonya represents both employees and employers, which puts her in the unique position of being able to understand the needs and interests of each party:
- Employees have bills to pay, families to feed and care for, and possibly new jobs to attend to, and litigation takes time and emotional energy away from these important matters.
- Employers have businesses to run, company morale to worry about, and employees who need to focus on their jobs rather than on depositions, document searches, and witness interviews.
Our approach to mediation is also highlighted by the following:
- Sonya understands that a successful resolution may not only depend on the employee and employer coming to an agreement; spouses or significant others on the employee side, and board members, shareholders, partners, or other members on the employer side, may impact a settlement.
- Sonya uses her empathy, compassion, and great listening skills to gain the parties’ and counsel’s trust.
- Sonya understands that each case comes with a unique set of challenges, and a one-size-fits-all approach often won’t get it done. Trained in a variety of mediation techniques and processes, Sonya tailors her approach to the specific needs of each matter.
- As someone who understands the nuances of employment law, Sonya will provide an unbiased, straightforward view to guide the parties toward a settlement.
- Sonya has worked with insurance carriers as an attorney and mediator and understands the interplay between the carrier and employer in resolving a case.
Having practiced both in BigLaw and at boutiques, representing employees and employers, Sonya has had the unique opportunity to represent Fortune 100 companies, small- and mid-size employers, and employees across a broad range of industries, including retail, food and beverage, senior living, health care, financial, entertainment, manufacturing, transportation, and real estate. As a result, she is uniquely positioned to see a case from each side’s point of view, connect with the parties, and better assess the strengths and weaknesses of each party’s position.
Education and Training
Sonya received her JD from UCLA School of Law and her mediation training through the Strauss Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine University. She currently serves as a settlement officer with the ResolveLaw LA program at Los Angeles Superior Court. Sonya also applies her mediation skills daily at home with her three kids.
For mediation inquiries, please contact Candace Yang at firstname.lastname@example.org.